Mendenhall Glacier Canoe Adventure
See a glacier up close! This trip takes you within yards of the face of the Mendenhall Glacier. An amazing view of glacier experienced by few people!
Paddle through glacier ice bergs through one of the richest samplings of Alaskan wildlife you’ll find anywhere. Birds, including arctic terns nest in the towering cliffs, and eagles, goats, salmon and bears are all common sights.
Venture within yards of the massive, awe-inspiring face of the living Mendenhall Glacier. Grab a thrill ride by skirting the base of beautiful and powerful Nugget Falls. Then refuel with a snack of Alaskan-style fare for the return.
Experience a traditional Tlingit-style canoe, an exceptionally stable 28-foot watercraft, with all modern safety gear supplied. Each canoe holds up to 15 people.
Be one of the lucky few to experience this one-of-a-kind adventure. Because of the close approach to the glacier face, the Forest Service tightly controls the number of participants.
- Must weigh 50 lbs. in order to fit in the required life jackets.
- Must be moderate to good physical condition.
- Must be able to enter/exit the canoe and assist with rowing.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Children between 13 and 17 must have signed parental consent if not accompanied by an adult.
Trip Activities: Glacier lake canoeing
Duration: About 3.5 hours including transportation
Tour Operator Provides: Transportation from/to the cruise ship harbor, experienced guide, permits, rain gear, life jackets, snacks.
You Bring: Dress in warm layers, an extra pair of socks, sunglasses, sunscreen, and comfortable walking shoes with rubber soles.
- This tour operates in all weather conditions.