Glacier Lake Canoe and Trail Hike with optional Ice Climbing
Skip the 8 mile trail hike and canoe through ice bergs to the Mendenhall Glacier terminus. Don your hiking gear for a 1 mile hike to the glacier for a climb on the ice of the Mendenhall Glacier!
Hike through a lush rain forest on this active adventure, you will be introduced to glacier trekking and the natural history of the area.
Your professional guide will instruct you step-by-step on how to paddle, trek in crampons and use an ice ax on glacial terrain.
Your trip begins with a drive from your pick up point to the edge of Mendenhall Lake where you'll gear up, listen to a safety briefing and board your 8 passenger canoe. As you paddle across the lake keep an eye out for blue ice bergs, arctic tern nesting cliffs and giant waterfalls. Crossing the lake to the glacier's terminus, you'll leave your sea legs behind, don your hiking gear and trek about a mile where you'll venture onto the glacier ice. After your trek, return to your boat and paddle one more time across the lake with a new understanding of Mendenhall's natural history.
With a maximum of 12 people, this family-friendly adventure is a wonderful way to experience several of uniquely Alaskan activies.
Privately Guided Hikes Available for groups of 6 to 12.
- Must be in good shape and conditioned to paddle for up to 5-6 miles round trip and hike on uneven terrain for up to 2 miles round trip.
- Recommended to wear sturdy hiking boots that provide good ankle support while hiking on uneven, rocky terrain.
- Minimum age of 8 years.
- All participants will be required to sign a waiver form before beginning the hike.
Trip Activities: Paddling, Hiking, Glacier Trekking
Glacier Paddle/Trek/Ice Climb Time: Sample Itinerary (about 6.5 hours total time):
- 30 minutes transportation from cruise ship harbor to trailhead
- 45 minutes Gear up and orientation
- 1.25 hour guded paddling in canoes on the lake
- 2 hour hiking and glacier trekking
- 1.25 hour paddling across the lake
- 45 minute transportation back to cruise ship harbor
Tour Operator Provides: Professional guide, all necessary paddling equipment & glacier gear, rain jacket and pants, rubber boots permits, round trip transportation from cruise ship harbor, hearty and healthy snack, bottled water.
You Bring: Sturdy hiking shoes or boots, comfortable hiking pants, warm hat, fleece gloves, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
- The amount of time on the ice cannot be guaranteed. The time available is dependent on the group's pace, skill and weather conditions.
- The glacier is always changing, so the features available to explore will vary over time. Specific features cannot be guaranteed. Your guide will assess the hazards on the day of the trip to determine if a particular area is safe to trek upon or enter.
- This trip operates in all safe weather conditions as determined by your guide. Please dress appropriately.
- Participants must disclose shoe and outer gear sizes, ages, pertinent medical conditions/history, allergies and any type of restriction or limitation that might introduce a higher challenge level on this trip.