Tongass Coast Kayak[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Escape the crowds and share the water with marine wildlife, surrounded by breathtaking vistas! You'll be taken on a 45 minute “out the road” trip to your kayaking departure – a private beach near Sunshine Cove.
The drive “out the road” takes about forty-five minutes and offers spectacular views of the Inside Passage to the Chilkat Range while crossing several rivers, peat bogs, and old growth spruce-hemlock trees. You may even see porcupine, black tail deer, bear, beaver, martin, eagles, ravens, and more.
You will launch your tandem kayaks from the beach after outfitting and orientation and then start paddling in a protected area.
The saltwater is alive with fresh water gently pouring into the coastline from our glaciers and rain which creates a sea curtain that is the perfect environment for krill and phytoplankton populations. Humpback Whales will stay in our area throughout the summer feeding on the local biomass before heading to Hawaii or Baja. We often encounter the majestic humpback, seals, sea lion, porpoise, sea birds, and sometimes Orcas or whales.
Rain or shine, this is quite simply one of the finest half-day kayak trips you will ever find. Certified guides lead an entertaining coast wilderness route that is limited to twelve participants. You need only bring your camera and an appetite for adventure because we outfit you with all equipment and gear, healthy snack, and beverage. Join us locals for a true Alaska experience!
- No experience necessary, moderate fitness level required
- Family-friendly tour, but children under 65 lbs must bring a booster seat (not provided)
- See special notes below.
Trip Activities: Transportation, scenic drive, kayaking
Duration: About 5.5 hours
Tour Operator Provides: Transportation from/to cruise ship harbor, professional guides, tandem kayaks, all necessary paddling gear, raingear, rubber boots, healthy snack & bottled water
You Bring: Dress in layers, comfortable shoes
- Trip operates in all safe weather conditions as determined by the guides.
- Kayaks can accommodate a maximum torso (waist-chest) diameter of 55 inches (140cm). Maximum weight limit is 600lbs (272kg) for double kayaks. People taller than 6’2″ (188cm) have a hard time operating the rudder because the pedals only adjust to a certain maximum distance; however, people as tall as 6’8″ have been able to paddle our kayaks.
- Guests must disclose information regarding pertinent medical conditions/history, allergies and any type of restriction or limitation that might introduce a higher degree of challenge on this trip. The tour operator strives to accommodate various conditions, restrictions and/or limitations and can better do so with prior knowledge of such. Women who are pregnant are welcome to participate in this trip with a doctor’s note confirming the safety of their participation in the activities of the tour