Haines Chilkat Bald Eagle River Float[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Drive the incredibly scenic Haines Highway, declared a National Scenic Byway in 2009 lined with glacier-clad mountains, colorful wildflowers, and green riverside channels provide habitat for moose, bear and trumpeter swans.
Arrive at the river in the heart of the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve, approximately 45 minutes away to meet your professional guide and listen to a safety briefing before boarding your raft.
No need to paddle!Just relax in the beauty and silence of this scenic float trip (no white water). You will float through the home of the largest bald eagle congregation in the world. Thousands of bald eagles travel here to feed on salmon in the fall and winter. In the summer months, a healthy resident population of bald eagles lives along the river.
Your guide will push the raft along, explaining the intricate balance of nature that makes this a unique and special place. You do not have to paddle; your hands are free for your camera and binoculars. Keep an eye out for other wildlife besides bald eagles. Moose, otters, brown and black bear, and even wolves, call this Preserve their home.You will spend approximately 1.5 hours floating the river. After rafting, your guide will select a scenic spot to enjoy a picnic lunch on your way back to Haines and/or back to your ship in Skagway.
- This is a light activity, but is not considered accessible
- Must be fit enough to walk a total of about 1,000 feet
- For safety reasons, weight is limited to 250 lbs or less
- To reserve this tour you will need to provide your weights, shoe sizes, and any pertinent allergies or medical conditions
Trip Activities: Scenic drive, scenic river float, nature and wildlife viewing, light lunch
Duration: 4 hour from Haines, 6.5 hours from Skagway including transportation. About 1.5 hours on the water.
Tour Operator Provides: Professional guide, required permits, transportation from/to hotel, all necessary rafting equipment, light lunch (turkey sandwich, fruit, bottled water) vegetarian and gluten free options available.
You Bring: Dress in layers, sunscreen and sunglasses
- This trip operates in all safe weather conditions.
- This trip has a 2 person minimum.
- This trip is available as a day trip from Juneau (price add-on for round trip airfare).
- Payment is due at the time of reservation. Refunds provided only if trip is cancelled by the tour operator.