Haines Chilkoot Lake Kayak
Visit Chilkoop Lake State Park. This park has it all: Tlingit Indian cultural sites, a salmon-filled river flowing into the sea, and a turquoise lake surrounded by snow-capped mountains.
Meet your wilderness guide and set out on a seaside drive to Chilkoot Lake State Park
Your expert guide will show you the basics of paddling. Outfitted with the proper gear, you will soon be gliding silently along the shores of the lake. This pristine lake is uncrowded, and the scenery is spectacular.
Huge waterfalls spill off of the cliffs surrounding the lake, lush green forests crowd the shoreline, and wildlife abounds. Pause at the base of one of these waterfalls, where your guide will reveal the secret workings of the rainforest.
Sockeye salmon spawning begins in July at one of the clear streams that feed into the lake. Eagles and bears are often attracted to this spot, and you will be able to view all the activity from your kayak.Total time on the lake is approximately one hour 30 minutes. Paddle back to shore and enjoy a box lunch before driving back to Haines. Return filled with memories and photographs from an unforgettable adventure.
- This is a light activity, but is not considered accessible
- Must be fit enough to walk a total of about 1,000 feet
- For safety reasons, weight is limited to 250 lbs or less
- To reserve this tour you will need to provide your weights, shoe sizes, and any pertinent allergies or medical conditions
Trip Activities: Scenic drive, lake kayaking, nature and wildlife viewing
Duration: 4 hour from Haines, 6.5 hours from Skagway including transportation. About 1.5 hours on the water.
Tour Operator Provides: Professional guide, required permits, transportation from/to hotel, all necessary paddling equipment, light lunch (turkey sandwich, fruit, bottled water) vegetarian and gluten free options available.
You Bring: Dress in layers, sunscreen and sunglasses
- This trip operates in all safe weather conditions.
- This trip has a 2 person minimum.
- Kayaks can accommodate maximum torso (waist-chest) diameter of 55 inches (140cm), maximum weight limit is 600lbs (272kg) for double kayaks. People taller than 6’2″ (188cm) have a hard time operating the rudder because the pedals only adjust to a certain maximum distance. However, people as tall as 6’8″ have been able to paddle our kayaks.
- Payment is due at the time of reservation. Refunds provided only if trip is cancelled by the tour operator.